THE SITUATION: Widespread Hunger in Colorado
In tens of thousands of homes across the state, our neighbors strive for a brighter future but struggle to make ends meet, whether due to a minimum-wage job, health issue, job loss or simply bad luck. Parents go without to feed their children. Too many kids start the school day hungry, unable to focus on learning. And, after a lifetime of working, Colorado seniors are left to fend for themselves and face the question: Do I buy needed medication or food?
Hunger is a serious—and often invisible—problem in Colorado, but it is solvable.
Hunger Free Colorado is making progress to ensure all Coloradans have access to food and nutrition, because we are all at our best when we have enough healthy food to eat.
THE SOLUTION: Hunger Free Colorado
Hunger Free Colorado is leading efforts to connect families and individuals to food and nutrition resources, and to create positive changes in systems, policies and social views so no Coloradan goes hungry. The organization was launched in 2009 from a merger of the Colorado Anti-Hunger Network and the Colorado Food Bank Association, with funding support from The Denver Foundation and Kaiser Permanente. Hunger Free Colorado brings a unified, statewide voice to the issue and solutions surrounding hunger, with a goal to ensure all Coloradans have access to affordable, nutritious food.
We are the state’s leading anti-hunger organization leveraging the power of collaboration, systems change, policy change and social change to end hunger in Colorado. With a mission to end hunger in Colorado, our core values are:
- Nutrition: We believe that addressing hunger is addressing nutrition.
- Innovation: We are committed to looking for the best solutions to end hunger.
- Partnership: We can’t achieve our vision alone.
- Community: We believe that there is power in engaging all voices to end hunger.
Our Innovative Work
We focus on systemic and sustainable solutions through the lens of our four core values: community, innovation, partnership and nutrition. But we do not—and cannot—achieve a hunger-free Colorado alone. Collaboration is key in breaking down barriers to access and fueling change for stronger, healthier communities.
- Connecting Colorado families and individuals to food and nutrition resources through a statewide, bilingual Hunger Free Hotline, food stamp application assistance and Your Neighborhood Food Truck that takes our services on the road
- Advancing policy and streamlining access to eliminate barriers to nutrition programs, including passage of state legislation that ensures breakfast will be offered to all students after the school day begins in high-poverty schools
- Connecting children to food in and out of school through existing child nutrition programs, such as school breakfast, after-school snacks and summer meals
- Addressing the needs of older adults by working with community partners to find solutions that overcome access barriers due to health considerations, dietary restrictions and limited mobility or transportation, as well as connecting older Coloradans to needed food resources
- Engaging community organizations and government agencies for collaboration, innovation and dissemination of best practices, a key component to eradicating hunger across the state
- Educating and advocating to change hearts and minds about hunger through efforts such as the photovoice project, Hunger Through My Lens, that provides a platform for Coloradans to share their stories and put real faces to the overwhelming statistics about hunger
Hunger is solvable, and sustainable solutions exist to eradicate hunger. Hunger Free Colorado is connecting the dots so every child, adult and senior has access to nutritious food; the fuel needed to lead better, healthier lives.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Join us in making Colorado hunger-free! Learn more about our initiatives, team, founding and key supporters, and how you can get involved to be a part of the solution. If you have questions or need more information, please contact us by phone or email.